If you are a Father reading this, you have probably experienced a number of challenges or difficulties.
There can be a number of reasons why such challenges and difficulties have eventuated such as, family violence, alcohol and drug misuse or other factors that has lead to a high conflict relationships.
I want to draw your attention to is the significant impact this has on your child(ren) around being separated from their Father (or Mother) and, or has lived in environment that has been hostile.
The intention of LINK Children’s Contact Service is not to place blame or judge others, but to represent what is in the ‘best interest of children’, including their physical, emotional and psychological wellbeing. LINK is a specialist service that works with parents or significant others that have or experience high conflict relationships, concerns around family violence or other significant factors and ensure children safety and wellbeing is paramount.
This is in line with the Family Law Act 1975 which stipulates under 60B;
- Children have the benefit of both of their parents having a meaningful involvement in their lives, to the maximum extent consistent with the best interests of the child.
- Protecting children from physical or psychological harm from being subjected to, or exposed to, abuse, neglect or family violence.
- Children receive adequate and proper parenting to help them achieve their full potential.
- Parents fulfil their duties and responsibilities for the welfare and development of their children. https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2019C00101
If you are experiencing any difficulties with regards to your mental health, coping or need someone to talk to, please refer to the below resources;
- If it is an emergency please dial triple zero.
- Life Line – Provides crisis support and suicide. prevention. Call 131114 24/7 Crisis Support
- Beyond Blue – Talk to a trained mental health professional, 1300 22 4636 24 hours / 7 days a week. https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/get-immediate-support
Your workplace may provide EAP (Employee Assistance Program) which generally provides a charge-free counselling service.
Refer to your GP, they can discuss a Mental Health Treatment Plan which entitles you to Medicare rebates for psychological intervention.